Latest Ebola outbreak in Guinea is over: WHO (Update)
The latest outbreak of Ebola in Guinea has ended, the World Health Organization said Wednesday, warning that a recurrence of the killer tropical disease remained a threat.
The last known Ebola patient in the west African country was discharged from hospital in April.
WHO declares the end to an outbreak, also known as the end to viral transmission, 42 days after the last known patient tests negative for the second time.
"WHO commends the government of Guinea and its people on ending this Ebola outbreak," said Abou Bekr Gaye, the UN agency's representative in Guinea.
He called for vigilance to "stop any new cases that may occur."
The coordinator of the country's fight against the virus, Sakoba Keita, said that 3,814 confirmed cases and 2,544 deaths had been registered since the beginning of the outbreak at a Conakry ceremony.
A handful of cases were registered in the last few months in Guinea, following the death of undiagnosed sufferers among a family near the border with Liberia.
In the three countries hit hardest by the Ebola crisis—Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone—fresh cases emerged after an outbreak was declared over.
The worst-ever Ebola epidemic began in Guinea in December 2013 and went on to kill more than 11,300 people, devastating economies and health systems in the worst affected countries, while testing the world's capacity to respond to a global health emergency.
The World Bank announced Saturday a new programme to mobilise funds quickly against virulent disease outbreaks after Ebola caught the world unprepared.
World Bank President Jim Yong Kim said the new Pandemic Emergency Financing Facility (PEF) would accelerate global and national responses to outbreaks that threaten large populations and fragile economies.
© 2016 AFP